Saturday, June 20, 2009

that's not on the menu...

wow - what a few days we've had! i'm going to share this - but i really hope it doesn't affect anyone's desire to come for a visit. tuesday night we were cleaning out our guest room b/c we thought we may have weekend visitors - well LONG story short we stumbled across a brown recluse spider - yep, a poison spider living IN our house! well, i didn't honestly think too much of it. we called an exterminator the next day and set up an appt for friday morning. thursday night we were getting ready for bed and i joked that we should go on a recluse hunt and check under the bed before we called it a night... well wouldn't you know it, i get down on the floor and point my little flashlight under the bed and there is a giant brown recluse spider just chilling under the head of our bed. i'm going to be honest, i sort of lost it and freaked out - sweet michael got us a room at a hotel and we went and slept there! yep, it scared me that much. i hate spiders and i really hate ones that could bite you! the lovely exterminator came by yesterday and bombed the frap out of the house and put down traps and told us that while he can't promise that he killed every single one, we shouldn't see them anymore. ugh - home ownership is a crazy adventure! i know all the stats on these creepy crawlies - i know they hide and don't come out often, i know they'd rather run away than bite - but still - knowing that any have been in the house freaks me out. ok - well enough of the creepy crawlie news...

our ladies bible study is throwing a baby shower for three women who are in the u.s. as refugees from burma. all three are due in the next few weeks and none of them speak a bit of english and none of them have a single thing for their little bundles of joy. i mean, literally nothing. we're trying to collect gently used items and we also made gift registries at target and walmart so people can donate if they want. i can't wait to do this. having a baby, as i can imagine, must be such a time of anticipation. it's supposed to be a time of happiness and joy and these woman are in a strange country away from their homes and alone. i can't wait for the shower - i hope we can show them how special they are and that they are loved and supported.

ok, well i'm off to yardsale - woo!!!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I HATE SPIDERS TOO!!! We occasionally get big, black wolf spiders and I seriously freeze when I see them. My heart races and I literally panic. I do NOT blame you one bit for staying in a hotel! ....I just got a chill :o(

It's great what you are doing for the burmese mamas!! I can't want to help you out. I'll have a little something to give you for them when I see you THIS SATURDAY!!! Can't wait!!